How To Hide Or Limit Facebook Timeline

Facebook changes all the time. Please check the updated version of this article instead.

Since the introduction of the new facebook profile layout known as timeline, there has been a great deal of privacy concern among users. I wish I could revert back to the old profile but all known tweaks stopped working since timeline went public and I’m presently stuck with it just like everyone who upgraded to the new profile layout. I read somewhere that disabling your facebook account for ten minutes or so reverts your profile back to the old layout but it didn’t work for me. I saw some search queries like ‘hiding new facebook wall’ and that prompted me to come up with this post on how to hide this new facebook wall known as timeline. There was a post I made earlier on how to hide facebook recent activities but this might not apply to you if you’re now using timeline or if you intend to hide more than just recent activities.

Timeline rocks when viewed but sucks if you have lots of things to hide, especially if you’ve been using facebook for so many years and would rather have certain posts or photos remain in the past. Timeline makes it very easy for anyone to dig into your past through facebook and I’ve seen quite a couple of my facebook friends close their facebook accounts just because of this. It only takes some settings and you won’t have a profile wall anymore.

1. Adjust Privacy Settings To Hide Wall posts

Click on the drop down menu at the top right and select Privacy Settings. You’ve probably made some public posts in the past but you first need to limit the visibility of those posts to friends only. Click on Manage Past Post Visibility and confirm as shown below:

how to hide and limit facebook timeline profileNow, the next thing is making your wall posts disappear. Under Control Your Default Privacy, select Custom and wait the a box pops up.

how to hide and limit facebook timeline profileFrom the options, select Only Me. This limits your posts, status updates, photos and everything you share to just your view only.

how to hide and limit facebook timeline profile from your friends and publicNow, under How You Connect, click Edit Settings and set Who can see posts by others on your timelineto Only Me. You can as well choose not to allow anyone post on your timeline/wall from here.

hiding and limiting your facebook timeline profile from your friends and public
That’s all the privacy settings we need to do here, let’s proceed to the next step which will be done on your profile.

2. Remove Recent Activities From Timeline/Facebook Wall

If you’re still using the old facebook profile layout, then I suggest you check this post on how to hide your recent activities but if you’re now using timeline, follow the steps below to hide your comments, likes, and other recent activities showing up on your wall.

Beside each recent activity, there’s a tiny X button. Click on this to hide any recent activity you don’t want showing up on your timeline

how to completely hide or limit your facebook timeline from your friends and publicSelect Hide Similar Activity from Timeline and confirm your selection:

hide and limit timeline profile from your friendsThe example above is for friending activities. It automatically hides existing and future friending activities from your profile. You should do the same also for posting activities ans comment activities and also hide your subscription and likes following the above example.

If you need to unhide the activities again and need them to show on your timeline, click the edit (X) button beside Recent Activities.

how to hide and limit your facebook timeline profileA box pops up where you’re shown your hidden recent activities. Just unhide anyone you wish to have shown on your profile again and it appears right away.

By following these tips, you should now have a almost blank timeline and no one gets to look at your facebook history by just viewing your profile. It looks like a pretty long process but there is actually no one click trick to hide your new facebook wall/timeline. I’m presently looking for a way to revert back to the old facebook profile and I’m going to post it when I find it. Share this post if it helps.

Filed Under: Facebook

Comments

1. This is not bad but maybe I'm missing something… now that I have Timeline, I can't see the posts I've made listed on my Timeline page… and therefore I can't hide them. Yet everyone *not* on Timeline can see them all on my Wall. I hate having recent posts I've made show up on my Wall, yet now can't Hide them. Can you help?

2. Don Caprio says:

I also had the same problem. I had to switch back to the old profile layout and hide them, then switched back to timeline.

3. geekogenius says:

check this out: use imacros and firefox to hide timeline! and put the past in the past! www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0He4dBxLdU

4. I had a hard time trying to hide my facebook timeline but this really helped. My profile timeline is now hidden from my friends and public. Thank you so much :)

5. Thanks but how do I hide my timeline for a particular year? Facebook sucks real bad the way it is now

6. This is great, but I don’t care if my friends see what is on my timeline. I just want the option of hiding the information from the rest of the world.

7. Comment copied from article in September: http://www.doncaprio.com/2011/09/hide-wall-post-recent-activity-facebook.html Don Caprio = your article doesn’t mention the problem of the Recent Activities panel in Timeline no longer including things like Comments on friend’s walls. The option to hide or unhide Friending Activity is still there (as you’ve shown in screen shots) but the option to hide or unhide Comments Activity is not (as is noted in the article from September for the old Facebook layout). If you go to the Activity Log, these comments are set to Allowed on Timeline, with the only other option being to delete them permanently. Despite being set as Allowed, they do not appear on the Timeline.

8. how to hide friends list on timeline profile….. i am not getting it . need help

9. victor stanescu says:

I made a pretty easy to follow Facebook Timeline guide with an added focus on privacy: Facebook Timeline Complete Guide Hope you like it :)

10. This isn’t working for me, probably doing something wrong.. I followed the steps above, but every post on my timeline is still visible when I view my page as somebody else. One of my friends still has the old Facebook layout. She was able to make her wall invisible to others. I’m seriously thinking about removing my FB account, but then again it’s the easiest way to keep in touch with most of my friends.. What to dooo..

11. Maybe this can help someone:- To ‘unhide’ recent activity from showing on your ‘Timeline’ Wall:- Go to your Timeline Wall and find a ‘recent activity’ post; Click on the pen icon and client ‘ Hidden Activity'; Click on the ‘x’ to UNHIDE any recent activity type posts. More details on a Note in Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=215998321755330

12. Eventhough I selected “Only Me” to who can see my friends list, when I go to “view as” and select a friend, I can still see all of the friends list.

13. Eze C. Faith says:

Pls, I don”t want this Timeline on my facebook account. I want it to be removed. THanks.

14. Eze C. Faith says:

Pls, i dont want this Timeline on my facebook account. kindly help me on how to remove it. thanks.

15. toll free reverse phone lookup says:

Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the info. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and superb style and design.

16. You are able to increase your blog visitors by having a fan page on facebook.,

17. thank you soooo much!! So helpful :)

18. Rick Sorci says:

I have a few friends at Facebook whom I love dearly, but they post ridiculously often. How can I block their posts without blocking every friend

You only need to go their profile, mouse over the “Friends” button and unmark “Show in newsfeed.”

19. sadia shaikh says:

I must say now Facebook more powerful and secure our privacy with fun and enjoy the social media activities..

20. Hi Kevin, Please check this article: http://www.doncaprio.com/2013/12/how-to-hide-your-facebook-timeline-from-the-public-pt-1.html