Locked Out By Google: Unusual Traffic From Your Computer Network?

I’ve been using dozens google’s services for years but I got a really crazy error message last night while trying to visit my own blog. At first I thought it was some sort of accidental error that came up due to a minor failure on google’s part but I kept trying to no avail. I tried visiting other sites hosted on blogspot but got the same error:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may see this page if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

IP address: 41.203.64.13
Time: 2011-10-25T12:13:27Z

I went ahead to clear my browser cookies, cache, history and site preferences but nothing happened. I also tried using google chrome but got the same error. Talking about unusual traffic, I realized I had been pinging lots of my backlinks that same day and that might have been the cause of the problem but I’m not so sure. That wasn’t the first time I’ve done that.

Another thing to note is that my ISP assigns the same IP address to lots of subscribers and someone on my network might be generating that unusual traffic which google thought was coming from my own computer. Anyway, I had to fix it and came up with three solutions.

1. Remove Newly Installed Softwares And Addons

If you recently installed any software, toolbar or browser add-on, you should uninstall this first. It might be the source of this unusual traffic activity. You can also run a scan for malwares and spywares but this wasn’t applicable in my own case.

2. Renewing Your IP Address

This is the quickest fix but it might not work for you. If you’re using a USB modem like I do, disconnect your modem for about 10 minutes or more and reconnect. You should have been assigned a new IP address by then but if you’re using a LAN, disconnect your router unplugg your router also for ten minutes or so.

3. Hiding Your IP Address

In case you’re in a hurry or your IP address doesn’t get renewed fast enough, go to hidemyass.com, get a working IP and it’s corresponding port. Open your browser settings and change your proxy settings from the one you got from hidemyass.com. This is the easiest fix to bypass this annoying error but if you don’t have a clue on how to change your browser settings, just check this post. this is what I did that eventually got me going.

In my quest for an answer, I also found out this same error appears for some search queries and this fix works for that as well, so far that same error is what is displayed on your screen.

. Filed Under: DIY Guides and How-to's

Comments

• sua may tinh tai nha ha noi says

IP address: 118.71.62.67
      Time: 2012-06-06T03:52:19Z
      URL: http://www.cuuhomaytinh.info/sua-chua-may-tinh-tai-nha-1

1. Adetony says

Thanks don, I appreciate it a lot, I have been battling with it since morning, I now remember you once posted in bloggerlab, I quickly google it with your name out and it work perfectly well for me.
    I’m grateful.

2. Adetony says

Thanks Doncaprio once again but one thing I notice is that my adesense begin to show thailand language because i made use of the thailand I.P, let me change it to US IP and see what kind of ads I will be seeing from my ends here. Thanks

3. Desiree RackupStackup Turner says

Hi, thank you so much for this.

I recently got this notice tonight by google after instaling SEOquake toolbar. Idk why it would do that when SEOquake is supposed to be a reputable SEO research toolbar.

Anyway, thanks for shedding some light on this situation. I disabled the toolbar after reading this post and noweverything is running smoothly again.

4. Mark Joseph Gesite says

Thanks for that… I had the same problem… and this read helped a lot to clear out questions…

5. Lisa says

Thank you very much for this post. It has helped me a lot to solve my problem. My blog was locked out by google due to unusual traffic . Now it’s working. Thanks to you.

6. manila4610 says

Hey Don thanks for this post I was really worried that this error is happening to me as well and thanks for your advice here. Man having this error for me who designs website is crazy as I have to consult forums and other blogs on how to resolve designing problems argh!! Oh well I will definitely try your #2 tip here.. again thanks!

7. xany says

Hello Don, i am a fan of your articles and i want to update and read your (daily) post article. because it is very interesting and i have gain a lot of ideas came into my mind when i start reading your articles. regarding this article, i was experience this once and i hope i don’t want to see this again.

i restart my plug in (broadband kit, i am from Philippines) and it fix . the fact and i want to ask if this error can make my Google Adsense Account? i want to clarify and i want more info about this matter. please guide me…

here is my blog (fresh blogger don’t have yet domain) symbianizetech.blogspot.com
    i am very grateful to reply my queries. more power to your website… Xany

No, I don’t think it should get your Adsense account banned. But to be on the safer side, it’s better not to check your Adsense account until you resolve the error… you never can tell.

8. DaWrecka says

My default cookie policy is “reject”, (because the ratio of times when cookies are an annoyance versus times when cookies are useful is hundreds to one) but I can’t get past the captcha until I allow Google to set cookies. And then as soon as I reload a Google page after setting the policy back to “reject”, I get captcha’d again. Which again keeps coming back until I allow cookies. Given this experience, I can only conclude that the “unusual traffic” page is nothing more than Google saying “Accept our cookies or eat shit, asshole”.

9. bharat says

many people talking on google forums that this problem occur by malicious. my suggestion is when every you see this issue just check if you installed any new software recently try to restore system or scan your computer

Current day month ye@r *