I was going through a forum when someone raised a concern about how Facebook shows your current city (ex., near Lagos) below every status update and uploaded photos. The person in question expressed concern over stalkers and those on her list who are not even real friends. Facebook is full of normal people and wierdos as well and for this reason, there’s need to be careful about the way you use it. I’m not saying disclosing your real location is not good at all, I just don’t like the idea personally.
Every status update I post displays my location as Baghdad, Iraq when I’m actually in Nigeria 😀 I did this for three reasons:
1. Just for the fun of it and fooling my friends
2. To keep my real location unknown to those who really don’t need to know it
3. To get less annoying ads. With Facebook believing I’m in Baghdad, advertisements shown are less distracting because they’re things I don’t really need
If you’re worried that facebook shows your location under status updates and wish to remove it, I’ll show you in just a couple of minutes how to get it done. But if you love this and want to display your location or a fake one beneath your updates, here we go.
How to Add Real or Fake Location Below Facebook Status Updates
1. Go to your profile and edit your info. Edit your current city and set it the visibility to public. You can enter a real or fake city here.
2. Whenever you’re about to update your status, keep typing your post till your current city shows.
3. It does take some seconds if your connection isn’t that fast and if it doesn’t show, click on the tiny location icon and enter your location:
Keep typing till suggestions come up. Choose from the given ones.
That’s it, your status update should now display your real or fake location.
Arrrghhh! Facebook Shows my Real Location all the Time and I Want to Remove it!
As pointed out above, your location can be displayed automatically under your status updates if you’ve already entered your current city while editing your profile. If you think it’s annoying and you dont want everyone to know exactly where you are,
1. Go to your profile and edit your current city. You should remove your current city and leave it blank
2. Even with your current location removed from your profile, facebook may still decide to show it along with your status update. In that case, you need to remove it each time you update your status by click the remove button beside your location:
Instead of totally removing your real location, you can as well show a fake one. 😉