How to Downgrade from iOS 6.0.1 to 5.1.1 Without Saved SHSH Blobs

On a post I wrote earlier, I clearly explained how to save your SHSH blob before upgrading to iOS 6. Saving your SHSH blob locally guarantees an easy downgrade but in most cases, most people don’t even bother about it before upgrading to the latest iOS version. As a matter of fact, I lost my saved SHSH blobs some days ago when I decided to format my hard drive.

The latest Redsn0w version lets you downgrade from iOS 6.01 to iOS 5.1.1 without previously saving your SHSH blobs. Not everyone likes iOS 6 because there’s no untethered jailbreak for newer devices yet and downgrading may be a great idea if you really want to get the most out of your device. However, before you use this method, you should bear in mind that:

1. You must have previously run a jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 on your device before

2. It may not work if you don’t have a tethered / untethered jailbreak already on iOS 6 or 6.01 presently

2. You’re still gonna need SHSH blob, just that it doesn’t have to be stored on your PC

4. Redsn0w checks Cydia server for your SHSH blob and the process can only be successsful if it finds it

So, if you’ve never ran iOS 5.1.1 on your iDevice before, I doubt if this will work for you.

Dowgrading to iOS 5.1.1 with Redsn0w

1. You can skip this step if you have already downloaded iOS 5.1.1 but if you don’t have it, get the one compatible with your device below:

• iPhone 3GS
• iPhone 4 GSM
• iPhone 4 CDMA
• iPhone 4S
• iPad
• iPad 2 (also iPad 2 AT&T and iPad 2 Verizon)
• iPod touch third-generation
• iPod touch fourth-generation
• iPad 2,4

2. Download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 for Mac or Windows

3. Right-click on Redsn0w, run as administrator and click on Extras

downgrade to iOS 5

4. Select Even more

downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 from iOS 6.0.1

5. Now click Restore

downgrade from iOS 6

6. Click on IPSW and locate iOS 5.1.1 you downloaded earlier

iOS downgrade

7. You may get a message asking if Redsn0w should modify the firmware, simply click Yes.

downgrade from iOS 6.0.1 with redsnow

8. At this point, you have to get your phone into DFU mode as explained on Redsn0w

DFU mode

9. After this, go back to Extras > Restore > Remote.

remote SHSH blob

10. Redsn0w will automatically look up your SHSH blob on Cydia and this should take some minutes. As pointed out earlier, this method will not work if you don’t have a previously jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 on your device.

You device should be restored to iOS 5.1.1 in a moment if everything does right. This is only tested on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 but I guess it should also work on iPhone 4s and possibly iPad 1 & 2. Hope it works for you.

. Filed Under: Apple iOS

Comments

1. Shehu Awwal says

After waiting for this type of tutorial Don, but thanks for the other post i jailbreak my iphone 3gs unthered successfully

2. shohan says

thankssssssssssssssssssssss………. buddy it works for me…on iphone 4. IOS 6.0.1 teatherd jailbroken to downgrade IOS 5.0.1 without saving shsh blobs…….. thanks…….thanks bro….may god bless u….thanks

Yes, you do need to backup your stuffs with iTunes but I’m not sure if you’re gonna be able to restore stuffs from a higher iOS to a lower iOS version

3. joel mercer says

i need your help so bad, Im having issues with some app i am trying to run on my iphone 4s… I initially jailbroke it to 5.1.1 and got cydia installed, but for some reason… cydia is now showing me… shsh 6.0.1, 6.1.1… Can this be giving me problems? thank you so very much…

If Cydia’s showing shsh 6.0.1, 6.1.1, you must have have installed and jailbroke those iOS versions on the device before. I’m not sure that’s any problem. By the way, what problems exactly are you having with those apps?

• leart says

becouse you jailbreak after the windows of ios 5.1.1 was closed, in september apple start signing only ios 6x, so is not possible for cydia to get shshs blobs for ios 5.1.1 now. I have the same ios 5.1.1 but i jailbreak in november so no shshs for 5.1.1 saved for my iphone 4s. Anyway shsh blobs now are usable only for iphone 4 and below, so they are useless for iphone 4s, iphone 5 and what will come after, so dont worry :)

4. jennifer says

hi don!!! can u help me downgrade my ipad3 because my eldest bro accidentally updated it to ios6,1,3!!! i cant use my wifi now…….. pls help me…. thanx!!!!

Hi Jenny, I’m not sure you can downgrade it to a lower version even with saved SHSH blob. Downgrading only works on older devices like iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

5. sundeep says

hai friend my name is sundeep i have updated my mobile and i have losed jai break and it is starting and asking for activation what should i do can u help me……. and it is not activating with itunes and also with wifi

6. Cindy says

Hi Don, I have an iTouch 4 that I accidentally updated to 6.1.3 when I get to the part where I’m supposed to click remote, it says it can’t find the blobs. Is this because it doesn’t work with 6.1.3? Or what should I do

7. Alex2all says

thanks it really works, I do not believe it really works, I followed all the steps and it worked, thanks for the tutorial really helpful it works for me…on iphone 4. IOS 6.1.2 unteatherd jailbreak to downgrade IOS 5.0.1 without saving shsh blobs