Unlock iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.2 Without Wi-Fi

After several attempts to get to use my iPhone again after updating to iOS 6.1.2, I was finally able to activate the phone. Of course, if you rely on hacktivation to use your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, Evasi0n won’t be of help since it doesn’t jailbreak locked and unactivated phones. The only way is to create a custom firmware through Sn0wbreeze which jailbreaks and hacktivates the phone though it’s still going to be locked and won’t be useable on any network till you unlock. There’s a detailed guide on using Snowbreeze which you should read. Please know that this is only tested on iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1.2, baseband 06.15.00, old bootrom) and iPhone 4 (iOS 6.0.1, baseband 01.59.00). Apart from these two devices I tested it on, it’s supposed to work on these as well according to the developer:

iPhone 3GS

• 04.26.08
  • 05.11.07
  • 05.12.01
  • 05.13.04
  • 06.15.00

iPhone 4

• 01.59.00

If your baseband isn’t listed above, this may not work for you. Also, if you’re using iPhone 3GS, install iPad baseband through Redsn0w may work for you but you have to be cautious about this if your device was manufactured after the 34th week of 2011. Your radio will be bricked with no hope of recovery except you do some hardware repair on the phone. To know if it’s safe to upgrade your device to iPad baseband through Redsn0w, check this article.

How to unlock iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4 Without WiFi

After jailbreaking your phone, of course, you need WiFi to access Cydia ans install Ultrasn0w but in case there’s no WiFi network around, there’s a simple way to unlock that phone.

- Download Ultrasnow 1.2.8 .deb file

- Install and run iFunbox

- Click on iFunbox Classic

unlock iPhone 3GS iPhone 4

- Select Cydia App Install

- Unzip the zip file contaning Ultrasn0w .deb file, drag and drop it in iFunbox

- Restart your phone twice and insert a SIM card.

- Your phone should be unlocked.

This is not working! What do I do?

Like I pointed out, this definitely won’t work for everyone. For example, a friend is still having a hard time trying to make this work on his iPhone 3GS (iPad baseband and new bootroom). If you’re having problems with it, I can only suggest two things:

1. Try installing Ultrasn0w Fixer from Cydia. You can do this by adding this source: http://repo.iparelhos.com

2. If you checked if it’s safe to upgrade to iPad Baseband, go ahead and do that with redsn0w. Be careful with this or your phone may become bricked. I won’t be held responsible for that.

How to upgrade to iPad Baseband

I used Redsn0w Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for this since it’s the latest version as of now. Download from the official website and follow this guide. You should also download iOS 6.0 (not 6.1.2) for iPhone 3GS to get this to work.

- Go to Extras > Select IPSW and locate iOS 6.0 firmware

- Click Back > Jailbreak

- Uncheck Install Cydia and be sure you only mark Install iPad Baseband

- Hit the Next button, get your phone into DFU mode using the on-screen instruction

When your phone restarts, you should now check the baseband to see if it’s changed. If it’s still doesn’t work and your phone is still locked, I’m afraid you may have to go for factory unlock.

. Filed Under: Apple iOS

Comments

1. Vincent Armstead says

All the steps are shown are clear and easy to understand which helped me to unlock the iphone and will also share this article with my friends…
    Keep it up..

2. sammy says

I went to check my baseband and i saw 06.15.00. Does that mean am already on the ipad baseband? So i would just go on and upgrade and unlock?

• Abhishek says

Hi Don,
        I have a 3Gs/16B, 006.15 baseband, New Boot ROM, IOS 5.1.1, Locked to Telus, Canada however working with my indian sim after ultrasnow unlock fixer. I updated my IOS from itunes to 6.1.2 and it was not getting activated, I followed your steps and jailbreak it using red snow’s latest version (did not select the install ipad baseband or downgrade baseband) and then used evasion for untethered jailbreak. it got activated. But even after using ultrasnow and it’s fixer, still no service on network. On wifi it works fine for apps. Do I have to do something with my Phone’s Baseband as already it was working fine on iPad BB fot IOS 5.1.1? I dont want to brick it though. Please assist.
        Retgards

It’s likely the baseband has changed already. Have you checked since you upgraded to iOS 6.1.2? An iTunes restore would have changed the baseband, that’s why I recommend Sn0wbreeze for iPhone 3GS users.

You may have to change the baseband using Redsn0w.

3. Shehu Awwal says

Very nice tutorial, It suppose it should work without Ultra sn0w fixer, if you don’t get it fixed they should downgrade the iPad baseband when they are having 6.15.00 it will work

4. Dulaj says

Hi Your posts are very helpful…Unfortunately Now I have IOS 6.1.2 and Its already jail broken But I do have 04.12.05 baseband :-( And I cannot unlock it…Even cannot downgrade to Ipad base-band.. Cannot downgrade to 5.1.1 as I dont have blobs as well..Looking forward to hearing from you..Thanks..

5. Dk says

my iphone 3gs had ios 4.1 and its jailbroken. working fine. but the problem is i cant use any of the newer apps on that firmware. so wanted to upgrade ios. the cydia shows SHSH blobs 4.1 and 6.1.2 only. i wanted to upgrade to 5.1.1 but cant. so i upgraded to 6.1.2. did restore using itunes. baseband is 6.15 and its old bootroom. tried jailbreak with redsnow 0.9.15b3 by manually selecting ipsw 6.0. i uncheck the install cydia option and also upgrade to ipad baseband. ( when i check upgrade to ipad basband, it says it cannot be done. phone might get bricked something. so i didnt check) i could install ios 6.1.2 successfully. but cant unlock. i tried using ifunbox method to unlock but couldnt. i tried once with wifi as well but cant open the cydia from the phone although the cydia is available on the springboard. need help badly :) thanx in advance

6. Kama says

This never worked for me but I stumbled upon another free tool by the name iPhone Unlock Code Generator and it unlocked my iPhone literally in minutes. It can be downloaded from http://iphone4unlockcode.blogspot.com/ . Guys try it out and see if it unlocks your iPhone or not ?

7. Ryan says

Great walk-through….the most difficult part with the new firmwares is getting the imei, which more often then not, you have to pay for. The rest is the breeze if you have a good walk-through and a little tech-saviness. Thanks!

8. Blackychan says

Please i need your help o..My uncle sent me a phone from Sweden but i couldnt use it because it is not yet unlocked.I have tried all means but not getting it..I wish you can help me..the carrier or network is TELENOR and the IMEI is 012658009355950…Please help me.

Please anybody that can help me unlock it..I am presently in Kenya..