Post Status Updates and Photos to Facebook Via iOS on iPhone / iPad / iPod touch

Update: If you’ve upgraded to iOS 7 already, there’s a new way to do this. Please check this article instead.

While some speculated it’s probably due to a fallout between Apple and Facebook, others assume that the Facebook application for iOS developers just didn’t think it’s necessary to show which device photos and status updates are shared from. Unlike Blackberry that shows something like “via blackberry” below posts shared through the phone’s native Facebook app, the same doesn’t appear on iPhones. Instead, it appears like you’re sharing through your web browser instead of Facebook app. I’m not that sure it’s a big deal if your posts displays “via mobile” or whatever since you’re still actually on mobile but the truth is that quite a number of iPhone users would love to see their photos and status updates display “via iPhone” or something.

Must read: How to Link your Facebook Account with Twitter and Vice Versa

With Facebook integration coming with iOS 6, this desired feature by some iOS users finally become a reality.

So how do you activate this?

First, you’ve got to be running iOS 6 or later on your device to get this to work and as a matter of fact, it’s got nothing to with with having the official Facebook app.

- Install iOS 6 and go to Settings > Facebook and log in to your Facebook. Grant the app the required permission if prompted.

- Now you have to be sure you have the Share Widget activated in the Notification Center. Go to Settings > Notification and activate the widget. I assume it should be there by default when you’ve signed in to Facebook but if it isn’t activated yet, just do it.

how to post to facebook via iPhone

- With that done, you can simply swipe the Notification Center down and you should see the widget there.

post to facebook via iOS on iPhone

- Tap on Post to Facebook and you’re good to go. Any status update shared through the Notification Center should display “via iOS.”

Must read: How to Make Your iPhone Run Faster

To post photos “via iOS,” you only need to navigate to your photo library and tap the Options button, hit the Facebook icon to share the photo via iOS.

This only works on iOS 6 but if you’re still running iOS 5.1.1, you may still get Facebook integration by installing Fusion from Cydia.

. Filed Under: Apple iOS

Comments

1. Wintola Zainab says

Don Caprio,thanks For This Post,i Have Always Taught its not Possible to Show My Status via Iphone Except by Going To Some Websites that Fakes What You are Using To update Your Status.

2. @JustSommie says

Hi Don Caprio, love what you do. “…if you’re still running iOS 5.1.1, you may still get Facebook integration by installing Fusion from Cydia.” Does that mean jailbreaking my ipad? Thanks

Yes, Sommie. You have to jailbreak to use Fusion. But why not upgrade to iOS 6 instead? if you don’t wanna jailbreak, that is.

3. Peter says

Hi, This blog is very nice and the everyone using informative, the Blackberry like “via blackberry” in usung facebooks app, the same doesn’t appear on iPhones.

• Guitar_gods says

Hi, I have iPhone5. I’m not able to post a status from notifications. There is no text box in share widget to post on FB. I’m using FB app. If I update a status using it, it shows updated via mobile. Uploaded pics display updated via ios but not status. :( Also, how can i create a picture album on FB and it should display updated via ios. ;)

4. siddhu says

This is extremely frustrating since everyone else in the world seems to post status/comments/pictures/etc from their iPhones and iPads and get the “via IOS or via ipad” except me. im on my ipad4 &ios6.0.1 can u help me plss :(

5. Paris says

Hey Don, I’m Paris from Vietnam. I got the Iphone 5. At the first time, when i upload or post everything : status,pics, check-ins,…….. They are also ” VIA IOS” ; But when i see that i wanna change, so i removed all the pictures in IOS photos ( ALbum ) to Mobile ALbum and i deleted IOS photos Album. Since everything came back as before. Nothing is ” VIA IOS” anymore. But now i just want everything ” VIA IOS” . I tried a lot of ways to fix it. Uninstall Facebook Apps for manytimes, but it doesn’t work. Can you help me ??? PLease !!!!!!!!!!

Hi Paris, Go to phone settings and remove your Facebook account. Mow re-add your Facebook account, I think it should be back to normal.

6. Clarsen says

Hi Don, Good day! I don’t have share widget on my iphone4. I already followed the steps you said, delete facebook and re-install/re-add it again but there is still no share widget on notification center. I’m on iOS 6.1. What should I do? Thank you!

7. aashita says

hey !! i was able to post a status “via iOS” but there was no option for posting a photo “via iOS” from the notification center . Please help i want it to be shown that the photos have been uploaded “via iOS” or i want the photos to be under a particular ” iOS photo album”

• Aira says

Hi.. I can’t see the Option button on my photo library. Can u help me pls.. Can u post the photo guidelines like on how on status update via iOS..thanks

• Aira says

Still can’t do it on my uploaded photos. Hope u can help me. Can’t find the Option button on my photo library.thanks

• Tushar says

hey don plese do tell how to maintin the custom privacy while updating a status,pics via ios.? In the right corner it only shows visible to friends,public and the name of list.,what if only i want to hide my status from a particular people, or from a particulr list…please help me out.

8. bheng says

hi again don.. i dont have share widget too.. what im gonna do?? i have iphone 4s and i like to post update and photos “VIA IOS SIGNATURE”

• Md. Shahidur Rahman Khukan says

Hello, I am using iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4s. What will be my steps to follow to get ” via ios ” signature on Facebook ?

• ramki says

Hi Don, How to share the photo from the photo album to particular group?? Am not getting all the specific groups or my customized group name which i have instead am getting only common groups like friends,family etc. How to share in my specific group from option button??

9. Grace says

Hi,I used ipad 4 andwhen I uploaded photos to facebook it appears uploaded via mobile and I amusing iOS 6?

10. FUOYE says

i was able to post a status “via iOS” but there was no option for posting a photo “via iOS” from the notification center . Please help i want it to be shown that the photos have been uploaded “via iOS” or i want the photos to be under a particular ” http://www.fuoye.edu.ng

11. web hosting company in bahrain says

We are very happy with new technologies. i like you all give details about ipad , iphone , ipod. thanks for the informative post.

12. Topu says

Dear boss, i m using 4s with 6.1.3 but i dont have share widget. I only buy i phone to showing my status via ios.plz plz help to find it out.its my request.topu

13. eduardo says

Hey, thanks for helping us with this :) I was able to upload a photo to iOS photos and posted someting ‘via iOS’. Everything went well. I was wondering if there is a way to move some photos i took with my iphone from the Mobile Uploads album, onto the iOS photos album. I uploaded them from the fbapp before knowing how to do this. I tried moving them, but the iOS photo album doesn’t appear as an option for it. Thank you :)

Hi Eduardo, I’ve never tried moving photos from the iOS album and I can’t try it right now because I don’t own a Facebook personal profile anymore.

14. kaju says

I m from india i have iphone 5 m not anle to write via ios in my status update sir plz help me for this i have share widget n dat is on

• clary says

just follow the instructions above ma’am and you’ll get it.. i tried it and now i can post status in facebook “via iOs”.

15. siraj says

sir, iam using iphone 4s with ios 5.1.1. as per your comand i downloaded fusion but i cant use it. please help me how to add signature on facebook while uploading photos or staus

For now, I think the best alternative is to upgrade to the latest iOS version. The only issue is jailbreaking the device.

16. Suzanna says

Thank you so much now I can post my facebook status nod photos via iOS but I’m sad I can’t make my comments via iOS it’s still via mobile.

17. Steel says

Hi there just wanna ask how to tag your friends when using the share widget on uploading pictures..tnx!

18. Gurpreet Singh says

Q1.Can i share my location on facebook which shows “via iOS6″ each time when i “check-in” using my iphone 5?However,i am able to post and share my pics on facebook which shows “via iOS6″ but not confirmed about “check-in”. Q2.When i make a call to any customer care center then i am not able to hear properly from the another end.I don’t know what is the properly with my iphone5?However,i am not facing this problem using my another phone which is samsung/Sony ericsson.Please help.

19. clary says

it really helps Don.. i posted my first status “via iOs”… thanks dude..! you’re the man! keep it up! (y) lol

20. Pat says

Can you help with this, please? When I send a picture from my iphone5 to Facebook, it goes to an IOS album. But every comment anyone has ever made on every picture in that album shows up under the picture..as does everyone that ever liked any picture in the entire album. How do I stop this from happening? Thank you in advance!!

21. jack says

Me too! Can you help with this, please? When I send a picture from my iphone5 to Facebook, it goes to an IOS album. But every comment anyone has ever made on every picture in that album shows up under the picture..as does everyone that ever liked any picture in the entire album. How do I stop this?

22. Tushar says

23. Zeusczech says

How to post comment on smbdy status with via ios appearing? Also if there is a way to show apple icon nd name of d device as i c of sm ppl…..im using ipad 4…

24. vik says

hi i updated my iphone 6 ios to 7 but now its wi fi is not workung and also when i update status on facebook or upload a photo ..it never says via ios…help me plsss

For the Wi-Fi issue, Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If it doesn’t work, you may complain at the Apple support forum.

25. Clarsen says

Hi Don, Does “via ios” can only be seen in ios 6 not in ios 7 anymore? If it is still working in ios 7, how it will appear on iphone 4? Thanks!

Hi Clarsen, So far Apple still uses the same App ID used in the Faceboo application in both iOS versions, it should still show via iOS. I’m yet to upgrade to iOS 7 cuz I don’t wanna lose my jailbreak on iOS 6… I haven’t had the chance to actually get to use iOS 7 that much. But I believe it should still be the same so far iOS 7 has the same share widget you need to activate to show this.

26. Jeff macaraig says

I updated 7.0.2 i cant post anything via ios also my iphone doesn’t have shate widget what will i do? Thanks